What We Believe
Saint Peter Lutheran Church is a church of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. We believe in one God who comes to us as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We believe in God as our creator, and as one who cares for us as a parent would a child. We believe God has shown his love for us in becoming human in Jesus Christ. We believe that through Jesus' death and resurrection we are given life, hope and salvation. We believe God continues to be with us, active in our lives and in the world through the Holy Spirit.
Called as children of God, and claimed by the Holy Spirit, the members of St. Peter Lutheran Church are gathered together to build each other up to use and grow our gifts in the multitude of ministries we share – and are sent out to serve the greater church, our community, and our world by using those gifts and ministries to share God’s love as the united people of God.
Happenings Around St. Peter
- A Sunday School class for adults is held each Sunday at 9:15 a.m. in the Gathering Room (take the west hall all the way to the corner; the Gathering Room is the first room on the right after you turn the corner - in the former Junior High Room). All are welcome! October’s sessions will use the Animate: Practices curriculum. Practices is an adult introduction to the central practices of the Christian faith. Sessions feature videos with perspectives from Christian thought leaders on topics such as prayer, worship, money, service, and community. The sessions pose questions people really have and then encourages participants to respond. Check out Animate: Practices!
- Plan to bring your children in costume to the 3nd Annual Truck or Treat at St. Peter Lutheran on Sunday, October 19th from 4:30-6:30pm. Cars will be lined up in the parking lot with their trunks decorated for Halloween and filled with goodies for kids to “trunk or treat”. The Women of St. Peter Lutheran are hosting and the Youth Group will be serving food for a free-will offering. There will also be games to play and hay rack rides to enjoy. It is going to be a great time!
- Interested in attending the Youth Gathering next summer? Parents and youth should plan to attend one of our informational meetings to find out more! Join us Sept. 21 at 7 p.m. (after Youth Group) or Sept. 24 at 8:00 p.m. Information regarding dates, deposits, fundraising, preparation meetings, etc. will be provided at the meetings. More information about the ELCA youth gathering is available via the Gathering website.
Youth Group will meet Sundays from 5:30-7:30 p.m. this year. All 6th-12th graders are invited to participate (all ages from 5:30-7:30). Plans for September include:
- Sept. 14 - Event Night at Church with dinner, games, music, and chance to connect in small groups led by adult mentors.
- Sept. 21 - Dinner, Brainstorming for Fellowship Nights and Election of Officers
- Sept. 28 - Fellowship Event (make sure you come Sept. 21 to help decide what we do this night!)
- The first Sunday School Compassion project focuses on a food drive benefiting the Food Bank of Iowa’s New “School Pantry” project. The kids learned about this project on Sunday, September 7th and we will be accepting donations towards this project through September 28th. The mission of the School Pantry Program is to help alleviate child hunger through the provision of food to children and their families at school. School based pantries are located on the grounds of a school and are intended to provide a more readily accessible source of food assistance to low-income students and their families. The items requested for this food drive are the following and can be brought to church starting Sunday, Sept 7th through Sept 28th: canned tuna and chicken, peanut butter, canned fruit, canned soup, cold cereal, 100% fruit juice (no glass bottles), bar soap, toothpaste, deodorant and diapers.
- Saint Peter hosts a meal and fellowship, typically held the fourth Thursday of the month (see the church calendar for specific dates). All meals are served at noon at the church. A $3.00/donation will cover the cost per person. The September meal will be Beef and Noodles and Mashed Potatoes! Please RSVP to the church office by Friday of the week before. (Menu may change without notice).