What We Believe
Saint Peter Lutheran Church is a church of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. We believe in one God who comes to us as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We believe in God as our creator, and as one who cares for us as a parent would a child. We believe God has shown his love for us in becoming human in Jesus Christ. We believe that through Jesus' death and resurrection we are given life, hope and salvation. We believe God continues to be with us, active in our lives and in the world through the Holy Spirit.
Called as children of God, and claimed by the Holy Spirit, the members of St. Peter Lutheran Church are gathered together to build each other up to use and grow our gifts in the multitude of ministries we share – and are sent out to serve the greater church, our community, and our world by using those gifts and ministries to share God’s love as the united people of God.
Happenings Around St. Peter
- Youth Group will meet Sundays from 5:30-7:30 p.m. this year. All 6th-12th graders are invited to participate (all ages from 5:30-7:30). Join us for our Kick-Off Event Sunday, September 7 for a Barbeque at the Home of Chip and Joyce Giles (contact the church office for the address). The main dish and beverages will be provided and youth are asked to bring a side or dessert. Watch the eNews for more information about plans for Sundays this fall!
- St. Peter has been offering a “Creation Station” for children during worship services this summer. We'd like to take a moment to find out what you think about this ministry opportunity. Please take a minute and complete our Creation Station Survey. Thanks so much for helping us engage, equip and empower the youth to be Gathered to Grow and Sent to Serve!
- The first Sunday School Compassion project will focus on a food drive benefiting the Food Bank of Iowa’s New “School Pantry” project. The kids will be learning about this project on Sunday, September 7th and we will be accepting donations towards this project through September 28th. The mission of the School Pantry Program is to help alleviate child hunger through the provision of food to children and their families at school. School based pantries are located on the grounds of a school and are intended to provide a more readily accessible source of food assistance to low-income students and their families. The items requested for this food drive are the following and can be brought to church starting Sunday, Sept 7th through Sept 28th: canned tuna and chicken, peanut butter, canned fruit, canned soup, cold cereal, 100% fruit juice (no glass bottles), bar soap, toothpaste, deodorant and diapers.
Saint Peter will host a meal and fellowship August 28 at noon. A $3 donation is requested to cover the cost of the meal. All are invited. Those who wish to attend are asked to RSVP to the church office by Friday of the week before. The August luncheon will feature a salad bar and volunteers are needed to provide a salad (that can feed 10 people). Salads are requested by August 28th at 10:00 am. To sign up to bring a salad, follow the directions below.
- Go to VolunteerSpot by visiting http://vols.pt/oXZeqC.
- Enter your email address: (You will NOT need to register an account on VolunteerSpot)
- Sign up! Choose your spots - VolunteerSpot will send you an automated confirmation and reminders.
- Note: VolunteerSpot does not share your email address with anyone.
- Riverside Bible Camp will host its 2014 Fall Golf Classic Friday, September 12 at Veenker Memorial Golf Course in Ames, Iowa. It is a Four-Person Best Shot tournament. Check In begins at 10:30 a.m. with 11 am. lunch and 12:15 p.m. shotgun start. All donations will be used for the Living Water, Living Word Appeal to restore the Chapel and build a new swimming pool at Riverside Lutheran Bible Camp Register by August 16.
- Sunday School will kick off on September 7 with a opening activity for parents to attend with their children for 3 year olds through adults. For three year olds through 6th graders, parents will get the chance to meet the shepherds for their childrens' classes, get information about drop-off/pick-up and other procedures and see what their kids will be up to this year. Parents with children who did NOT attend Sunday School at St. Peter Lutheran in 2013-14 are asked to visit Sign-Up Genius to fill out a brief registration form so we know to expect your child and can place them in a class. See you September 7! Visit our Children and Youth Ministry page to learn more about our Sunday School format.