- Sunday Morning at 8 and 10:30 a.m.Childcare is provided at both services.
Worship is central to who we are as God's people.
Our worship services are filled with uplifting music, gospel-centric preaching, and Christ's presence in Holy Communion.
We hope you join us this weekend!
What We Believe
Saint Peter Lutheran Church is a church of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. We believe in one God who comes to us as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We believe in God as our creator, and as one who cares for us as a parent would a child. We believe God has shown his love for us in becoming human in Jesus Christ. We believe through Jesus' death and resurrection we are given life, hope and salvation. We believe God continues to be with us, active in our lives and in the world through the Holy Spirit.
CALLED as children of God, and CLAIMED by the Holy Spirit, the members of St. Peter Lutheran Church are GATHERED together to build each other up to use and GROW our gifts in the multitude of ministries we share – and are SENT out to serve the greater church, our community, and our world by using those gifts and ministries to share God’s love as the united people of God.
- Please join us as we celebrate Christs's birth during our Christmas Eve worship Services December 24 at 4, 6 and 9 p.m.
- The St. Peter Scholarship Program for secondary school students in Myamba Lutheran Parish has completed its fourth year of providing financial assistance to students whose families cannot afford the required school fees. Thanks to the gracious response of St. Peter Lutheran families, 29 students received assistance for the 2014 school year. Six of these students completed their fourth and final year. Myamba Pastor Mmbaga indicates there are 10 new sponsorship opportunities for primary school students who qualified for the first year of secondary school in 2015 and whose families who don’t have resources to pay their school fees. We hope that the generosity of members of St. Peter congregation will continue as we seek to provide these 10 new students with the same opportunity to attend school in 2015 and beyond. St. Peter member Reg and Roberta Yoder will travel to Myamba in Mid-January and will deliver scholarship funds. If you are interested in providing funding, please contact the church office.
During the month of December, these are the most needed items by the Grimes Food Pantry:
- Evaporated Milk
- Jars of turkey gravy
- Canned pears and mixed fruit
- Boxed potatoes
- Soda Crackers
- Paper Products
- If you anticipate launching a child into post-secondary life or have recently done so, please plan to join us January 11 to gather, celebrate the joys of this milestone and share in the common challenges. We will share in a devotion, talk about ways we can support our children and participate in an act of service. Participants are invited to a blessing ritual during either worship service January 18 and receive a memento to remember the milestone and tools for journeying in this new stage. Please RSVP to Sonja Gestenberger, Director of Faith Formation, so we can prepare a place for you!
- ELCA students who attend Grand View University are eligible to apply for The Philip L. Hougen Campus Ministries Scholarship. Established in honor of former ELCA Southeast Iowa Synod Bishop Philip L. Hougen, this scholarship, awarded to two applicants from ELCA congregations who express intention to participate regularly in Grand View campus ministry, may provide between $500 and $1,500 toward a student's education. Applications are due by February 1, 2015 and can be found online.
Bishop Burke will visit St. Peter December 7 and will discuss our shared ministry in the local synod the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. On December 14 and 22 Pastor Mark will Lead sessions of The Greatest Story: Jesus. December 14 will be “Who is Jesus” and December 21 will be “God is with us.”A Sunday School class for adults is held each Sunday at 9:15 a.m. in the Gathering Room (take the west hall all the way to the corner; the Gathering Room is the first room on the right after you turn the corner - in the former Junior High Room). All are welcome! If you are interested in Adult Sunday School but have small children who are not yet in Sunday School, nursery is available for children 0-3 in the first room in the west hall.
- Saint Peter hosts a meal and fellowship, typically held the fourth Thursday of the month (see the church calendar for specific dates). All meals are served at noon at the church. A $3.00/donation will cover the cost per person. The December meal will be ham loaf and cheesy potatoes. Please RSVP to the church office by Friday of the week before. (Menu may change without notice).
- We have been thrilled to offer the Creation Station for youth to connect the Gospel with a hands-on activity during the Sermon. We have had as many as 40 youth participate on a Sunday. In order to continue to offer this opportunity, we would like to extend an invitation for adults who love kids to sign up ahead of time to lead the activity. All materials will be provided, and we have a great group of older elementary, Junior High and Senior High youth who are willing to help. If you would like to experience the fun of helping kids make faith connections, contact Sonja Gerstenberger or call the church office (515-986-3077). You don't need to be able to help every Sunday but could sign up to be added to the list of volunteers. Once you have signed up to be a Helper, a signup calendar via Volunteer Spot will be emailed to you so you can sign up for specific dates that work for you.