- Sunday Morning at 8 and 10:30 a.m.Childcare is provided at both services.
Worship is central to who we are as God's people.
Our worship services are filled with uplifting music, gospel-centric preaching, and Christ's presence in Holy Communion.
We hope you join us this weekend!
What We Believe
Saint Peter Lutheran Church is a church of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America. We believe in one God who comes to us as Father, Son, and Holy Spirit. We believe in God as our creator, and as one who cares for us as a parent would a child. We believe God has shown his love for us in becoming human in Jesus Christ. We believe through Jesus' death and resurrection we are given life, hope and salvation. We believe God continues to be with us, active in our lives and in the world through the Holy Spirit.
CALLED as children of God, and CLAIMED by the Holy Spirit, the members of St. Peter Lutheran Church are GATHERED together to build each other up to use and GROW our gifts in the multitude of ministries we share – and are SENT out to serve the greater church, our community, and our world by using those gifts and ministries to share God’s love as the united people of God.
- During the month of March, WELCA will be collecting items for their annual Toiletry Drive. All items collected will go to LSI (Lutheran Service of Iowa). LSI is one of Iowa’s largest human service agencies supporting thousands of people each year. For nearly 150 years, LSI has stood beside Iowa’s most vulnerable. For more information on LSI visit their website at www.LSIowa.org. The list of items needed include . . . Toothpaste, diapers and wipes, soap and body wash, shampoo , deodorant. Items can be travel size. NO toothbrushes this year.
Holy Week Worship Schedule
- Sunday, March 29 - Palm Sunday We celebrate Jesus' triumphant entry into Jerusalem with palm branches and donkey. The Adult Choir will sing "Hosanna, Blessed is He!" at both the 8:00 and 10:30 a.m. worship services.
- Thursday, April 2 - Maundy Thursday Worship at 7 p.m. Holy Communion will be shared during this service. The Adult Choir will sing "Let Us Break Bread Together" and "Hallelujah, What a Savior!". The stripping of the altar will take place at the end of the service. Nursery will be provided for young children during the service.
- Friday, April 3 - Good Friday Service at 7 p.m. This service of darkness reminds us of the suffering and death of our Savior, Jesus Christ. Nursery will be provided for young children during the service.
- Sunrise Worship Service at 6:30 a.m. Holy Communion will be served.
- Easter Breakfast from 7:00-8:30 a.m. This is a fundraiser for the Youth Gathering trip. Come and enjoy a delicious breakfast being served by the youth of our congregation. Cost for the breakfast is a free-will donation.
- Festival Worship Services at 9:00 & 10:30 a.m. Holy Communion will be served at both services. Nursery will be provided for young children from 8:45 - 11:45 a.m.
- The Youth Group and Youth Group parents will provide childcare April 18 from 5-9 p.m. at St. Peter Lutheran Church as a Youth Group fundraising event. We will start with games, have dinner and wrap up the evening with a movie. All ages welcome. There will be a free will donation for babysitting, $40 suggested donation per family. All proceeds will help fund the youth trip in July 2015 to the National Youth Gathering in Detroit, Michigan. Register now!
Join us Sunday mornings at 9:15 a.m. in the Library for Adult Sunday School. Beginning Sunday, February 22, Pastor Mark Schlenker will lead a discussion around Lutheran Insights for Bible Study. Books will be available for purchase for $13 on Sunday, but you need not read for the first session.Lutheran Insights for Bible Study provides an introduction to the Bible and Lutheran perspectives that guide understanding of Scripture. This study explores four methods of Bible study, then applies each method to four Scripture texts. You can find more information or read excerpts here.
- In order to provide consistency of appearance, St. Peter Lutheran is transitioning to producing the eNews using Constant Contact. Current email recipients will receive the eNews automatically. To subscribe, go to our subscription form and provide your name and email address.
EPIC is a matching grant program that began in 1983 as a cooperative venture between the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA), congregations in Iowa, and their ELCA colleges . . . which are Grand View University in Des Moines, Lutheran College in Decorah, and Wartburg College in Waverly. EPIC is a means of encouraging congregations to financially support their members who attend one of the three Iowa ELCA colleges.Our members who are students at Grand View, Luther, or Wartburg should let the church office know your intent to attend each school year. The church office will let the college know our intent of contribution which is $500 per year. The college will match our donation giving a total of $1000 per year.
- St. Peter Lutheran is looking for a second nursery attendant on Sunday mornings. The nursery is open for families of young children from 7:45-11:45 a.m. each Sunday. If someone is only interested in working for one service we might be able to find a second attendant for each of the services. If interested in applying, please contact the church office by email or call 515-986-3077
- This year, ELCA youth will join together to do something big, called ELCA World Hunger's Walk for Water. The goal is to raise $500,000 for ELCA World Hunger supported water projects around the world. Through these gifts, local communities will be equipped to provide water for drinking and growing crops, sanitation and hygiene, as well as ongoing health education, training and maintenance. Learn more about ELCA World Hunger's Walk for Water here.
- The Winter 2015 issue of the Southeastern Iowa Synod's new bi-annual newsletter is here! This new publication is geared toward sharing stories of the Holy Spirit's work among and through us, shaping our life together. The newsletter will be published in August and February, and will reflect the annual theme launched each year at Synod Assembly. View the Winter 2015 Newsletter here.
- Your Time and Talent Survey ... You filled it out, but forgot it at home ... Or brought it to church but it got lost in the shuffle of after-Sunday-School paperwork ... Or, It is sitting in the pile of "to deal with" paperwork on your kitchen counter-top. Never FEAR! Just go to our online Time and Talent Survey and give two minutes of your time to tell St. Peter all the ways we can help you connect in ministry in the next year. We need you, and all the amazing gifts of God you bring to the community, but we will never know what those are if you don't tell us. One click. Two minutes. DONE!