Sharing the Good News in 2017
Pastor Mark's January Voice Message
by Mark S
Pastor Mark’s January Voice Message …
“Praise the Lord…For great is his steadfast love toward us, and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever. Praise the Lord.” (Psalm 117)
“The faithfulness of the Lord endures forever.” I’ve been pondering these words as I reflect back on 2017. This past Sunday we heard an update from Council. It was shared that we are in a much better place financially than we were last year at this time. If giving is strong again at the end of this year than we will meet all of our expenses and be in a good place to start the new year. This is indeed good news as St. Peter has much to offer in sharing the truly Good News of the Gospel.
“Praise the Lord…For great is his steadfast love toward us.” Because of God’s steadfast love toward us and inspiring generosity in His people St. Peter was able to share this Good News of God’s steadfast love in so many ways. Here are just a few highlights of 2017.
- Worship on Wednesday began this Fall. Sunday morning worship numbers have stayed pretty consistent, which means more people are being enriched through worship.
- 17 baptisms this year, which means St. Peter is faithfully sharing with next generations.
- Sunday school, confirmation and youth ministries are strong. Numbers continue to grow. Non-member youth are joining these ministries as well furthering our mission.
- Small Miracles Preschool is at full capacity for the first time. Coming at just the right time to support/launch the new ministry of Before/After school care. (“Faithfulness of the Lord” provides when/where needed.)
- Choir presented a powerful cantata this year. Many visitors and members were praising how good it was. Children did a fabulous job singing as well. One guest commenting, “There had to be more than 50 kids up there! So good to see this many kids in church!”
- VBS, Fourth of July on the lawn and Trunk or Treat continue to grow. Positive ways that St. Peter is impacting the surrounding community.
- Compassion Sundays continue to inspire ways of putting faith into action.
- Increased technology has enhanced our mission with an updated website, increased traffic on St. Peter Facebook page and the use of projection screens. One acolyte upon noticing the new TV screen in the back said, “Ahh…spiffing the place up a bit. I like it!” Younger generations don’t know a world without such technology.
- Sound system upgrade along with the beautiful new sound station have enhanced ministry. One member commented, “I can hear everything so much clearer now.”
- Mission Support giving to the greater church allows St. Peter to participate in mission happening throughout Iowa, the country and world. On top of this St. Peter generously shares prayers and financial support to our Companion Synod in Tanzania, Myamba Lutheran, helping fellow Christians gain an education and further spread the Gospel.
“Praise the Lord…For great is his steadfast love toward us, and the faithfulness of the Lord endures forever. Praise the Lord.” (Psalm 117) It has been a faith filled 2017, and I look forward to what the Lord has in store for 2018.