Events and Ministries
by Sonja G
2017 is the 500th Anniversary of the Reformation, and the Des Moines area ELCA and Catholic clergy are beginning a year-long commemoration with common prayer. All are invited to a Lutheran-Catholic prayer service Sunday, November 6, 2016, at 4:00 pm, at St. Ambrose Cathedral held just one week after Pope Francis and the Lutheran World Federation President, Bishop Munib Younan, and LWF General Secretary Rev. Martin Junge will lead the same service in Lund, Sweden. This is an incredible moment on the journey to full communion between our denominations and local faith communities.
In addition, a Lutheran-Catholic music ensemble will be formed.
- Who: Lutheran and Catholic choir members (teen or adult singers)
- What: Massed Lutheran-Catholic Choir for a common prayer service
- Where: St. Ambrose Cathedral, 607 High Street, Des Moines
- When: Sunday, November 6, 2016
- Rehearsal for all choir members at 2:15 pm
- Prayer service begins at 4:00 pm
- Other details
- Music to be announced within the next couple of weeks. Links to scores and information for ordering music will be posted at www.dmdiocese.org/worship (the Roman Catholic Diocese of Des Moines’ Worship Office)
- The year of commemoration will close in October 2017 with a service in an area Lutheran church.
Contact David Fandrich, Minister for Worship and Music, Holy Trinity Lutheran Church or Kyle Lechtenberg, Director of Music and Liturgy, Our Lady’s Immaculate Heart Catholic Church with questions.